Emergency Paediatric First Aid (1 day)
At a glance
At your workplace
Cost per person
Price on Request
Be 16 years of age or older
Validity of award
Valid for 3 years.
By completing this course you will learn how to:
- Understand the role and responsibilities of a Paediatric First Aider
- Carry out a primary survey (includes assessing emergency situations, dealing with an unresponsive casualty)
- Perform CPR on all ages
- Use an AED and how to perform group CPR including the use of a defibrillator efficiently (not assessed or part of qualification)
- Help someone who is choking
- Recognise and deal with meningitis, anaphylaxis and asthma
- Treat casualties with bites, stings, small cuts, grazes, bruises, splinters, nose bleeds
- Deal with seizures, shock, blood loss, various types of wounds and injuries
- Recognise a spinal or head injury
- Continual assessment by the tutor
- Complete a worksheet during the course
- Demonstrate the ability to carry out CPR on a baby, child and adult manikin
- Demonstrate the ability to carry out First Aid for an unconscious casualty
- Demonstrate the ability to carry out First Aid for a child in an emergency situation
This Level 3 course is suitable for people caring for infants and children from birth to puberty. The Emergency Paediatric First Aid Award aims to give candidates confidence and knowledge in how to deal with emergency situations, and how to recognise and respond to serious medical conditions and injuries.
If you are caring for infants in the Early Years Foundation Stage (aged 0 to 5 years inclusive) it is important to note that new legislation requires all newly qualified child carers to have Paediatric First Aid training. This course meets the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage and is necessary for people who care for children in any professional setting (e.g. school reception classes, pre-schools, nurseries and child-minders).
Early Years childcare providers can choose to train their staff to hold either the full Paediatric First Aid qualification (2 day course) or the shorter Emergency Paediatric First Aid certificate (1 day course). It is a legal requirement for at least one person with a valid full Paediatric First Aid qualification (2 day course) to be available at all times within a professional child care establishment. This includes cover for sickness and annual leave and to accompany children on trips or excursions.
This course does not qualify candidates to the same level as the Paediatric First Aid Award (2 day course) which covers the requirements of Ofsted Early Years and Childcare Register.
This course includes training on baby, child and adult resuscitation manikins.
Using an AED (defibrillator) is demonstrated and candidates also have the opportunity to practice on one.